Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My precious Addison Brooke

Ok, it’s a little late but I decided (now that my daughter is 20 months old) that I want to start journaling about her. The milestones, the sweet moments, the struggles and achievements. This is really more for her than anyone. I want her to have something from me that she can treasure the rest of her life. I figured typing is easier than writing – so here goes.

A few days ago Addie turned 20 months old. The day came and almost went before I realized the numerical milestone! May 2nd 2010. Boy has time flown since that first moment I saw Addison Brooke. She has been a challenge for sure since about two weeks into her life. We dealt with colic early on and that was quite an ordeal in itself. The patient mom I always thought I’d be – I was not. I learned though. I worked through that struggle in those first months of Addie’s life. It’s a life lesson to love someone unconditionally – when you just don’t feel you have it in you to do so.

At 3 months old we moved on from colic to broncuilitis. I nearly fainted when the doctor said she might have to be admitted into the hospital. We prayed and cried and nursed her back to health with the Lord’s strength and guidance. I specifically remember rushing home to relieve Travis one day after work as he was home tending to her and was in dire need of a break. It was about a week from Christmas and I was pulled over by a policeman for speeding. For the love, my overly tired self just couldn’t seem to get out of that very much un-needed expense. I’m surprised I didn’t just fall apart in front of him. I even showed him a picture of Addison – the unsympathetic cop didn't relent.

Then there was the time Addison went into hysterics and the lady keeping her called 911. She thought she was having a seizure. I think that was actually sometime before 2-3 months. Hard to remember, but I do remember getting the call. Amazingly, I was pretty calm through all of that because I knew my baby and her colic fits. It had become the norm for us. Travis drove up and saw a huge fire truck and about 10 paramedics hovering over a smiley little baby girl. Thank the Lord she was completely fine.

We also ended up in the ER several times – the first occurance for a missed ear infection. We weren’t too thrilled that we had paid a co-pay that morning at the doctor’s office only to have to pay a much higher co-pay at the ER later that night. Addison wouldn’t stop screaming at the top of her lungs for over 2 hours so the ER was our only option at midnight! $100 later she was diagnosed, medicated and asleep.

About two weeks ago we dealt with ear infections again, only this time in both ears. It was a very challenging week and one that Travis and I thought just about topped her colic days. We were beside ourselves – exhausted, concerned, irritated. You name it. As the case with most ear infections, it took a few days to realize they were ear infections and then about two more days for the antibiotics to kick in and return our child to her normal sweet self. I actually recorded one of her ‘fits of rage’ on my iphone. I kinda felt bad but needed to do that so I could go back and watch it and have a little more sympathy than I was having at the moment of the fit. She was in severe pain, screaming at the top of her lungs and watching that was difficult because I wanted to help make it stop but I couldn’t. One night she was screaming so loud for so long, we put ear drops in her ears (which numb the pain – best thing ever) and in about 5 mins she just stopped screaming dropped on the floor right in the middle of the den and fell asleep. Just like that.

So here we are at 20 months and despite the challenges we’ve endured, big and small, we love this little one more than ever. She’s cute as all get out. Of course I know I’m biased but I mean she’s REALLY cute. She has this amazing personality. She likes to make you laugh. She has these looks she’ll give you, tilting her head to the side and glaring at you out of the side of her eyes with a little quirky smile. It’s priceless. She knows when we see her do something funny or adorable. She puts on a show for sure. And she talks like crazy. One of my favorite phrases she says – “come on mommy, come on” all the while taking your hand in hers and pulling you along. She LOVES to be outside. She’ll say “park and playground” just about every time we’re in the car. She’s looking for them. She’ll also ask to go to “mi-donalls” to play. We limit her television viewing but she definitely loves to watch certain programs. It’s usually only the intro songs to Calliou, Mickey or the Backyardagains that she wants to watch. Barney is “happy” and she adores him. I can’t stand him.

We’re blessed beyond belief to have this precious life in our lives. And I thank the Lord for her every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment